Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
Station Test Support
MasTek has provided resources to the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) Station Test Laboratory facilities under dual multi-year contracts. There are a wide range of services encompassing a few major initiatives which are described below.
- Power Apparatus Equipment Testing – MasTek is supporting the testing of substation equipment for capital projects and preventative maintenance. Some of the substation equipment being tested includes protective relays, revenue meters, transformers, circuit breakers, generators, capacitors, arrestors, cables, and associated power system equipment. Deliverables have included procedure development, application development, and field guidance.
- Test Data Management Application – MasTek is overseeing the expansion and deployment of PowerDB (software using for power system maintenance test data management). This system stores test and preventative maintenance information in a database for historical purposes. The system allows field test technicians to have laptops synchronized and loaded with test data from the field. The system is integrated with LADWP’s Maximo asset management system and is in support of compliance with the NERC Reliability Standards.
- Transformer Diagnostics and Analytics Support – In support of LADWP’s high voltage transformer program, MasTek has provided various consulting and advisory services diagnostic services to assist with developing diagnostics procedures addressing transformer Dissolved Gas Analysis and basic transformer testing and prognosis support. Procedures were also developed for transformer testing during commissioning and diagnostic testing.
- Transformer Monitoring Unit Dashboard – MasTek designed and developed a Transformer Monitoring Unit (TMU) Dashboard that is a system which collects data, from LADWP’s Lab Information Management System, SCADA system, and transformer monitoring components to display all data collectively for a particular bank and transformer. This data is then used for performing engineering analytics on the transformer and determining a score for the transformer.
- System Protection Relay Management – MasTek designed and developed the EQbase (software for system protection equipment database to archive and manage relay and testing equipment information). Functional requirements were identified and presented, software development and testing, and the collection of relays, relay settings, and test equipment data and centralized them.
- Procedure Development for System Protection Group – MasTek developed a series of procedures in support of the System Protection and Controls group. The procedures addressed Feeder Relay testing and inspections. In addition, MasTek developed a training curriculum and conducted training on improving to have field engineers develop engineering technical reports.